- 1 (16 oz.) bag dried split peas
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more as needed
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- Optional: 1 dried bay leaf, 4 sprigs fresh thyme, 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse dried peas several times and drain. Place peas in the slow cooker and the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine. Cover and set slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove optional bay leaf and thyme stems. Use a whisk to stir the soup and break up the peas. Add water if needed to thin. If you like your soup smoother, use an immersion blender to blend. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.